[Sca-cooks] Macarons

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jul 19 14:56:57 PDT 2010

A macaroon is a lightly baked confection of beaten egg white, sugar and
grated, crushed or ground nuts.  The primary variation is in the proportions
of the three main ingredients which can have a texture from a meringue
cookie to a small cake.  Until the 20th Century, the nuts would have been
almonds, possibly with some bitter almond for flavoring.  Flavorings such as
orange peel, lemon peel, cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate were being added by
the early 19th Century.  Macaroons with jam, jelly, or creme fillings are
common.

The key point is macaroons are made from  a meringue base and use nut meal
or flour rather than cereal flour in their manufacture.

Just to add to the confusion, there are recipes for baked marzipan which are
labelled as being macaroons.

Bear