[Sca-cooks] Seal meat

Kathleen Gormanshaw kgormanshaw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 08:13:15 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> So what DOES seal meat taste like? How was it cooked?

I don't have a period answer, but some comments from my husband who
ate it growing up in Newfoundland:

"It's a red meat, it's a bit greasy (meat itself is lean, the fat is
in clumps and it is this fat that creates the fishy taste), a slight
fishy taste (depending on how much fat you get cleaned off), texture
of beef.

"Sloppy Seal" - cooked & mixed with bbq sauce (same as Sloppy Joes)
was a favorite at our house.

Bake covered with salt pork fat, onions, turnip, carrots.

Can be canned (pressure cooked ) with a bit of onion & salt pork.

I personally love it."

Eyrny