[Sca-cooks] 14th century catalan?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jun 12 06:56:21 PDT 2010

It's part of that secret knowledge that only librarians know.
This is the arcane stuff that takes hundreds of hours of graduate
school.

[[[[[Stefan can walk away; these droids are not the ones you are
looking for...]]]]

Actually in this case I was indicating that perhaps it had been
subject catalogued back
in the 1930's under gastronomy and not cookery (which should include
actual recipes).

Books on food, table talk, gastronomy, dining, cookery, diet,
nutrition, etc get catalogued under
a variety of subject headings. They also get classified and shelved in
different places in libraries.
(It makes a difference as to where one looks in the various catalogs
when surveying a subject
and where one browses.)

See
Library Research Guide: United States in the World 19: American Food:
A Global History

http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k36781&pageid=icb.page321313

It might help explain more about this as regards food.

Harvard catalogs the book under:

Llibre del coc de la Canonja de Tarragona [Editat sota la cura de J.
Serra Vilaró.] Published: [Barcelona, 1935] Description: 1 v. illus.
Notes: Limited ed.: 105 cop., no. 98. Keyword subject: Monasticism --
Dietary rules. Authors: Serra Vilaró, Joan, b. 1879.

Wisconsin uses these subject headings:
  Cookery, Spanish --Early works to 1800.
   Cookery, Medieval.

Johnnae