[Sca-cooks] Saba

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jun 20 04:48:18 PDT 2010

What is the language of origin for saba?  Sapa is Latin and refers to a more
highly condensed defrutum.  From Google, I gather sapa may show up in ethnic
markets as pekmez or dibis.  BTW, neither sapa nor saba shows up in my copy
of the OED.

Just to add to the fun, in Japanese, saba would be mackeral and there is a
West Indian plantain named saba.

Some other curious trivia that popped up in the search is the Saban, Hiriam
Beakes, pirate, who is attributed with the phrase, "Dead men tell no tales."
Arrrgh!

Bear