[Sca-cooks] More on Saba

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 01:12:41 PDT 2010

Eduardo said:

<<< I have achieved Saba!

So I stopped at the wine store.
Purchased 10 Liters of Chianti juice concentrate. >>>

Was this a store selling wine? Or a store selling wine-making supplies?

I'm assuming that both this Chianti juice concentrate and the resulting saba and the period saba, are all alcohol free, since they haven't fermented, correct?

I'm also imagining that one of the reasons to concentrate the juice was to keep it from fermenting. One of the few ways they probably had to keep a fruit juice from fermenting.

Is there any evidence of them concentrating other fruit juices in period to preserve them? It sounds like you could concentrate something like apple juice during the harvest time and then add water later and you would have fresh juice out of season. But I guess the catch might be getting good, clean water to reconstitute the juice concentrate with.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com