[Sca-cooks] whey uses

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Mon Jun 21 09:59:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

> So what _is_ whey good for?
>
> Liutgard

In Sweden they make something called "mjolksyrad rotsaker" it's basically shredded root vegetables of various types layered with a little salt and spices in a big glass jar, which is then filled with whey, and allowed to ferment for about a week, then sealed and let to mature another 3 weeks. It tastes sorta like sauerkraut, but with more character (IMHO), and a much crisper texture. It's also got the advantage of having lots of what they're now calling "probiotic" bacteria- the ones that are really good for your intestinal flora. I can't document it ('cause I can't read early Swedish yet, and am just getting competent at modern), but the fact that it's a fermented preservation and not salt-based, makes me suspect that it may be a fairly old technique/product. The recipe I use calls for filmjolk (a form of buttermilk that's really popular here)whey , but I've used the hey from my homemade yogurt several times with no problems at all
Dan