[Sca-cooks] An imaginary feast

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 12:32:43 PDT 2010

I am building and imaginary feast which is a lot better than a real
feast because I have no economic limits! Now I have written Ziryab
prescribed:

first a liquid dish such as pottage served in individual bowls, consumed
with spoons, then boiled meats or fish and then roasted meats or fish
which were the most difficult to digest. Finally desserts consisting of
fruit and sweets, "the sweetness of life" as the Spanish say. The Emir
readily accepted this change.

So in my imaginary feast how many dishes should I present in each
coarse? We are going by Ziryab's dictates. Between the first and second
course we have a fine line between blancmange and mirrauste. I know
blancmange should go as a first course but what about mirrauste?
     I have gone over Mark Calderwood's Andalusan-Fst-msg -  8/30/09.
His menu does not appear to have anything to do with Ziryab's explanations.
     Madrun (madrun) SCA Semi-Final "Final Menu" has a very interesting
menu with the first course consisting of Catalan dishes, the second of
Jewish and the third of Muslim and the desserts seem to be a mixture not
specified.  Very clever as that is a brain buster. Again don't see
Ziryab's prescription applied.
     In the real so called 'banquet' I did we only had one dish for each
coarse and the first was blancmange while the rest of the meal consisted
of finger food. The second course and the desserts were finger foods.
We had two desserts. We were very tied down to expenses as this was a
fund raiser so almonds and lamb were the only exceptions to the budget.
Goat's milk was donated by a friend who happens to make cheese with
their milk.
Suey