[Sca-cooks] Hannah Glasse text was This is rather outside our period, but...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 4 03:58:41 PDT 2010

Not mentioned as often as Mrs. Beeton, but Hannah gets mentioned.
There are a number of copies from various editions that are available in
full view scans now through Google Books and the Internet Archive.

There's an edition of an 1805 American edition available with notes by
Karen Hess
http://tinyurl.com/26o5d6w

The 1788 is at
http://tinyurl.com/2co94en

The 1774 and the 1784 are at the internet archive.

If you'd like to purchase a copy to read, I'd suggest the Prospect
Books edition
titled
First Catch Your Hare: The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy. It
contains
a valuable historical introduction and material that will place the
book into the context of the times.
Described here: http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html
It can be purchased through Amazon.

If you want to read more about 18th English cookery take a look at the
comprehensive
book The British Housewife
Cookery-books, Cooking and Society in 18th-century Britain by Gilly
Lehmann.
http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html

Hope this helps and welcome to the list

Johnnae, playing librarian on a gray overcast morning