[Sca-cooks] Job with cookbook publisher

gordonse at one.net gordonse at one.net
Thu Jun 10 08:06:05 PDT 2010

> Random House
 > Duration: Full Time
 > Location: Emeryville, CA
 > Requirements:
 > About our company
 > Ten Speed Press, based in Berkeley, California, is a division of
the Crown Publishing Group of Random House, Inc., the world's largest
general trade book publisher. Random House is a division of
Bertelsmann AG, one of the foremost media companies in the world.

 > Your tasks
 > The editorial department seeks a senior editor to manage
approximately 10 titles per year for Ten Speed's award-winning cooking
list. Duties for each project include establishing and adhering to a
production schedule, performing a developmental edit, arranging
assignments/briefings to and reviewing all work of editorial
freelancers, commissioning and managing photo shoots (if applicable),
overseeing the work of the designer(s), coordinating the preparation
of sales materials, and writing catalog and flap copy.

 > The position includes responsibility for acquiring approximately 10
titles per year with a focus on food/wine/spirits, and assisting the
publisher and editorial director in the evaluation of acquisitions
candidates. The senior cookbook editor will also be on call to
participate in (and in some cases, run) meetings with agents,
packagers, and potential authors.

 > Our requirements
 > Candidates must have a minimum of eight years of editorial
experience working on complex full-color books and knowledge of/
involvement in the national food scene (for example, through past
freelance writing, active membership in culinary organizations, and/or
a culinary school degree). The position requires extensive book-team
management (designers, photographers, writer-author collaborations)
and thus, strong written and verbal communication skills are
essential. The candidate should have experience taking complicated
projects from the idea stage through to publication and a firm grasp
of all aspects of book production--from developmental editing to line
editing to proofreading--and a strong record of meeting deadlines.

 > The ideal candidate will have at least two years of acquiring
experience with a proven sales record, and have an existing network of
agents and author contacts from which to draw.