[Sca-cooks] Looking for help in Fla

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jun 30 13:40:55 PDT 2010

To be fair, I'm less concerned with BP's liability than I am with resolving
the situation.  As Wally Hickel put it years ago, "I'm not concerned with
who's fault it is right now.  Let's handle the crisis, and then settle who
gets the blame."

Rather than being obstructionist, I think you are seeing a failure of
command and control with lower level management trying to implement
imprecise policy directives to deal with the oil and limit the company's
liability.  They are doing the kind of thinking that got them an MBA rather
than the rational process of doing what is necessary, getting the job done
and making sure everyone is a safe as possible while doing it.  A case in
point is the announcement yesterday that crews would be sent to beaches
where they have found tar rather than being positioned on beaches where they
expect tar (duh!).  I sorta wonder if we have too many educated people
involved with this to be smart.

The individual(s) who made the decision to save money by incurring risk may
be responsible for negligent homicide.  If their negligence caused the
accident, then BP is probably on the hook for wrongful death.  And there are
almost certainly a few government regulators who need to go to jail on
corruption charges.  BP is responsible for making whole the people they have
injured, but that is a tort rather than a criminal violation.  By
establishing the 20B claims fund, BP acknowledges the tort and will probably
save a bundle in litigation by their action.

In my opinion, the Gulf Coast has suffered a major shock that is likely to
change the environment in ways we can not calculate.  To offset the damage
to the people there, BP and some of the other oil companies that have large
stakes there, might consider establishing some of their alternative energy
facilities there.  The area might be a good place to research, test and
build oil spill recovery equipment.  It might also be a good place to create
better and more protected aquaculture centers.  So while we assign blame and
punish the guilt for the "murder" of the Gulf Coast, why not consider how
best to "resurrect" it?

Bear