[Sca-cooks] On Nattes

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed Jun 30 16:20:48 PDT 2010

> I do know for a fact that you still find wafer irons (round about palm
> sized
> sometimes with "pictures" espercialy if they were intended for comiunion
> wafers with overlong handles) at antique markets and high class flea
> markets
> (pricy items and you need a wood fired stove for themn to work,...)

There is quite a nice collection of period wafer irons on bildindex
(http://www.bildindex.de )

> I will have to check if there sis a oblaten recipe in Nostradamus (he does
> use it but I haven't had it in hand for quite some time).

That would be fantastic.

> here is a german site with a bit of history and some pictures, maybe you
> will find some things of interest on these pages:
>
> http://www.waffelbar.de/Waffelgeschichte.html
>
> http://www.waffelbar.de/Waffeloblaten.html

These are fun.  Perhaps they would be interested in the collection of
recipes I have been putting together...  I should see what sort of an
English waffle history page is out there.

> the term nattes f. in french does also mean mat which would make sense
> here
> and with the love for all french (if it is not spanish it has to be
> french,... the aristocracy either followed the french or spanish /
> habsburgian court) this seem a good "translation"  Mats or Matten does not
> sound so "upity"

I think I am going to try to make them this weekend and see what I think.
It seems rather time consuming with the 5 or 6 boiling times per milk
layer so an uppity name might well apply.

Katherine