[Sca-cooks] Edible Bugs

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 05:44:02 PDT 2010

No, she wants the real bugs.  This is for Mistress Aethylwynn, for those of
you who remember her, she is pursuing her graduate degree and is doing
advanced courses in things like germs and bugs (she makes her living running
electron microscopes).  She is doing a presentation this week on
Grasshoppers and Crickets, and in late July they have an event for which she
would like to produce some actual edible examples.  She is a fine cook and
researcher (Pel/Laurel), and already has some recipes, although I'm sure she
would look at more.  I told her about the Andrew Zimmerman episode where he
eats and enjoys some June Bugs, and that I've tried them and liked them (one
sacrificed himself up by jumping into a pot of curry I was making one night,
I thought - well, if you insist...).
I did a search and didn't come up with much in the way of sources, just lots
of articles and websites saying that they are eaten here and there.  I know
I've seen producers featured on various cooking/travel shows.
Thanks for asking the producer, that might just get us a lead.
Christianna