[Sca-cooks] Making verjus

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 19:36:46 PDT 2010

So the feral table grapes are all over my parents' backyard again and
the bunches of grapes are forming.  Not very big and juicy since nobody
actually waters them on purpose, but the fruit is on the vine, about the
size and colour of petits pois. so I grabbed about five bunches, picked
them off the stems and ran them through the blender with a dash of
water.  Now draining through a nylon coffee filter.  What a nice flavor,
very grapey but sour as lemon juice.  I will use this for salads!  And
freeze a bunch for the rest of the year's cookery.

I have a Persian feast coming up next March, I don't suppose it will
keep in the freezer until then?  The problem with Black Oak Lodge is
that it's so early in the year, before the fruit harvests.  Alas.

Dame Selene