[Sca-cooks] Period recipe for Pea Soup?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 19:10:59 PST 2010

>Greetings all,
>     We're looking for a period recipe for Pea
>Soup. The little data we've been able to find
>indicates that while everybody seems to have had
>one. but because it was low-end peasant food,
>no-one wrote the recipe down. Any leads, clues
>or even recipes! would be greatly appreciated!

Rumpolt has a number of pea recipes, many that
call for Erbeßbrüh or pea broth, and this one for
soup:
Suppen  4. Pea soup with small chopped onions/
that are browned (sauteed)/ peppered and
yellowed*/ like this it is also good.
* yellow might mean saffron, but it could also
mean safflower or another yellow coloring.

Also this one for soup with false peas:

Suppen  40. Make a dough with eggs and with
flour/ pour it in hot Butter though a foam spoon/
that has holes/ put not make brown/ but only
nicely white. Take a good pea stock/ that is well
tasting and mixed/ and when you want serve it in
a dish/ then pour over the cooked "peas" (meaning
the fried pastry)/ like this it is good and well
tasting.

And no less than 16 recipes in the Zugemüß
(vegetable or side dish) section.  Pease pudding
than soup:

Zugemüß 1. Peas.  Take peas/ set them (on the
fire) with lye / and let them simmer/ that the
hulls go from/ rub them well/ and wash them
clean/ let them soak in water/ that the taste
comes away.  Set them (on the fire) with cold
water/ and let them simmer/ and when you think
they are soft/ then pour them on a strainer/ and
let the water run away/ put them again in a fish
kettle and set them on hot coals/ stir them
often/ until they become dry/ keep the kettle
against the fire/ like this they dry the sooner
put them in a mortar/ and crush with a wooden
pestle. Take new bacon/ that is not melted/ under
it/ and crush it/ set with the mortar on the
fire/ and crush continuously/ until the stuff
becomes warm/ and when you will melt it (when it
is ready to melt?)/ then take water/ that is
warm/ and correctly salted/ mix up the peas with
it/ make them not too thick/ and also not too
thin/ that you can strain it.  Take a white
bread/ that is sliced/ and is roasted in butter/
is sugared when warm/ and pour the peas over it/
pour again melted bacon over it/ like this the
peas are white/ and the bacon is also white.  And
thus one cooks the peas specially on a flesh day.
At times one takes milk to it/ but with water one
can make it as white as with milk.

Zugemüß 2. Roasted peas with bacon in a pie pan/
that is brown over and under/ that is served
whole in the pie pan/ and given warm on a table.

Zugemüß 3. Peas cooked with smoked bacon.

Zugemüß 4.  Take new peas/ or pods/ parboil them
a little in water with the husks cool them again/
and cut a little bacon pretty thin/ lay them in a
pan/ and roast them a little/ then put the peas
in it/ and roast it also/ pour a little beef
broth or chicken broth to it/ put a little ginger
and pepper in it/ let simmer together/ that a
short broth develops/ like this it is good and
well tasting.

Zugemüß 5. Take new peas/ take them out of the
husks in an tinned fish kettle/ pour a good beef
broth over it/ set on coals/ and let simmer/ and
when nearly cooked/ like this brown a little
flour in it/ and fresh unmelted butter/ green
herbs/ that are chopped small/ let simmer
together.  You might put bacon over it or not/
like this it is good and well tasting.

Zugemüß 6. Take green (or fresh?) peas/ take them
out of the husks/ set them (to the fire) with a
beef broth/ and let them simmer well/ strain them
through a hair cloth/ put them in a small fish
kettle/ and let them simmer with fresh butter/
that is unmelted/ stir egg yolks into it one or
two/ let them sinner together/ like this it is a
good dish.

Zugemüß 7. Take peas/ that are cooked and
strained/ prepared with egg yolks and fresh
butter.  Take toasted slices from a white weck
bread/ put butter or bacon in a pie pan/ melt/
and make hot on coals/ soften the (bread) slices
in the strained peas/ and lay them nicely next to
each other/ pour the peas over them/ pour the
bacon or melted butter over it/ set in the oven/
or on coals/ and bake/ put a pot cover over it/
that heat goes under and over.  And when you will
serve it/ then turn over into a dish/ and give
warm on a table.  The dish one calls Bohemian
Baba.

Zugemüß 8.  Take peas/ that are cooked and dried
in a mortar/ grind them with egg yolks/ sweet
milk/ and unmelted butter/ put a little salt into
it/ and stir them together. Take a tart pan/ put
butter in it/ and make hot/ take toasted slices
from a weck bread/ dip them in the peas/ and lay
them in the tart pan/ and when you have laid them
next to each other/ then add the remaining peas
over it/ baste with fresh butter/ set in oven
with the tart pan/ and let bake.  Take a dish/
and overturn onto it/ and give them warm on a
table.  The Bohemians eat this gladly/ and in
Bohemia one calls it a Baba made of peas.

Zugemüß 9. Take peas/ that have been hulled with
lye/ and when they are cooked and well dried/
then crush them in a mortar/ mix up with milk and
butter/ or clear water/ that is warm/ mix well
with butter/ that you do not make it too thick or
again too thin/ that it can run through a sieve/
throw of a weck bread/ that is sliced small/ over
it/ and when it is arranged in a dish/ then pour
butter over it/ and give warn on a table.  You
might also like to sprinkle well toasted bread
over it/ that is prepared with sugar/ like this
is good and well tasting.

Zugemüß 10. Take green peas/ that are hulled/
simmer them with Malvasia (wine)/ take a little
butter to it/ thus it is also good and well
tasting.

Zugemüß 11.  Take peas/ that have been hulled
with lye/ boil them off in water/ that the taste
comes away/ when they are cooked/ then pour them
over a strainer/ when the water is from it/ thun
put it again in a fish kettle/ set on hot ashes/
and stir up often/ thus they become even drier/
when they are dry/ then put them on a dish/ and
let them become cold/ put them in a grater?/ and
rub them with a wooden leg (pestle)/ until they
become small/ and when you are nearly ready to
serve/ then pour Malvasier wine to it/ and rub
continuously/ so it becomes puffy/ like a snow
milk/ and becomes quite white. Take out with a
wooden spoon/ and make white mounds in a dish
next to each other/ sprinkle them with small
confits/ give warm to the table. Also one can
finish? the peas in Malvasier (wine).

Zugemüß 12. Browned peameal/ prepared with pea
broth/ and given warm on the table/ with little
slices of bread that are roasted in butter/ and
is made sweet with sugar/ sprinkled/ is good and
well tasting

Zugemüß  13.  Peas and barley cooked together/
with good peabroth/ and well larded.  This dish
is also not bad to eat/ And in Austria it is
called Ritschet.

Zugemüß  14. Strained peas well larded/ and given
warm on the table/ pour saurkraut with vinegar
around it/ an sprinkle with salt.  Like this they
eat it gladly on the Rhine river

Zugemüß 15. Strained peas let become cold/ lay
them in another dish and pour vinegar over it.
Like this they eat it gladly in Spessart (a place
in Bavaria).

Zugemüß 16.  Baked (fried) peas with milk is also
good and well tasting.  And when they have cooked
thick/ then you can also make them well brown.

If you start with split peas, you can skip the
steps that hull them with lye.  I speculate that
yellow peas are more appropriate than green ones,
but its hard to be sure.

Ranvaig