[Sca-cooks] Oatcakes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Mar 25 05:06:55 PDT 2010

We've discussed the subject of oatcakes several time in the past,
and Stefan has a file at oatcakes-msg – 9/5/09 Period oatcakes.

For people interested in the subject, I wanted to mention that there's
a new book out titled

The Staffordshire Oatcake. A History by Pamela Sambrook.

This is an investigation into the oatcake that is made in the Midlands
and Moorlands, the region of the potteries. (The largest city in
Staffordshire is Stoke-on -Trent.)

It's a small book, but a lively one filled with photographs and
accounts. Chapter 5 is on "Bakestones and Griddles. From c.200 AD to c.
2000 AD. Another chapter cites evidence from wills and inventories.
PPC 89 has a review.

Amazon currently carries the volume, in case anyone else wants a copy.

websites here:
http://www.oatcake-book.co.uk/
http://keeleuniversitypressoffice.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/oatcake/

Those into British foods may like this blog food suppliers and producers
http://goodfoodshops.blogspot.com/

another blog account
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jan/28/staffordshire-oatcake

Here's a website selling them: