[Sca-cooks] A Feast in the Time of Chaucer

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 26 19:55:44 PDT 2010

Johnnae mentioned her recent article:

<<< "A Feast During the Time of Chaucer"

It features an account of the little known 1368 wedding feast of
Lionel, Duke of Clarence
to Violante, daughter of Galeazzo Visconti, Lord of Pavia and Milan.
We discussed this feast back in the fall of 2002 on the Sca Cooks
list. I did research on it then and managed to find the menu. I
returned to the subject in January and completed this article then.

The article can be downloaded at:
http://chronicler.cynnabar.org/citadel/  >>>

One thing that makes me wonder about this menu is the gilding.

*Everything* in the first give courses seems to have been gilded.
Then in the rest of the courses (13 more courses) no foods, or almost
none, are gilded.

Anyone have a guess as to why? Johannae, is there a transcription
error somewhere? Did only some of the upper level people get the first
few courses? And who got the gifts that were exchanged? Were these
wedding gifts just for the wedding couple? Or were these between the
two families?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com