[Sca-cooks] A Feast in the Time of Chaucer

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 05:55:44 PDT 2010

The entire book by Cook (now up on google books)
  goes into more about who accompanied the Duke to Italy
and the journey. The numbers were substantial. 450 plus people went
along.
They also were entertained along the way.
The gifts are listed and seem to have between the families or
households. I suspect
some were kept and others were dispersed to ranking members of the
wedding parties. Part of the gifts would have reflected the dowery
too. And these
were large households of course.

The gilding? I wonder if it has to do with the early courses 1-5 being
roast
courses that were then gilded.
Course 6 starts with beef and capons in sauces and sturgeon in water.
Likewise 7 mentions both meat and fish in lemon sauce.
8 are pies; 9 aspic; 10. galantines.
By the time you get to the roasted kids and garfish in course 11 -who
notices
the gilding when you are getting 6 coursers with gilded saddles?
12 is back to being sauced or possibly pickled.
Course 13 seems to indicate fancier preparations with venison and beef
in molds
and fish turned inside out. 14 indicates red and green sauces and fish
turned out.
15 is peacocks. 16 back to roasts.
17-18 junkets, cheese, cherries, fruits, etc.

Transcription error? I don't know. Cook based his menu on a number of
accounts. Are there errors? One might have to go back to the archives
in Italy and check
firsthand to make sure that the original printed accounts were
correct. (Of course, those archives or volumes may not exist today.)
Some of the early (16th century) accounts
were later published and those might be available to be checked in
either Yale
or Harvard. Others are up at least in part on the internet now.

Corio, L'Historia di Milano, Padua, 1646 carries a note in another
volume that it hasn't been edited since 1565.
The 1554 is up on the internet archive in case you want to read it
yourself.

What I am sure of is that Cook's is the best and most complete account
in English and it's much better
than the abbreviated accounts that appear in a number of Chaucer
biographies.

Johnna (not Johannae)