[Sca-cooks] Horseflesh in Early Period NW Europe?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 15 13:28:13 PDT 2010

The Christian ban on horsemeat is mypoint of departure. I've found repeated references by various authors to the fact that eating horses was a pagan practice that theChurch banned because of its ritual connotations, but so far, I've come up all but empty with evidence of actual pagans eating actual horses.

It is interesting, though, that the NOrthern part of Iceland was also particularly active with horse burials. Certainly something going on with horses there.

Thanks

Giano