[Sca-cooks] Horseflesh in Early Period NW Europe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Mar 15 13:55:08 PDT 2010

Gerald or Wales (Giraldus Cambrensis) provides a description of the
sacrifice and consumption of horse in Ulster, chapter 102 of his The History
and Topography of Ireland.

St. Boniface's mission to the Germans (part of Charlemagne's move to control
the various German tribes) espoused the papal prohibition of not eating
horsemeat.  Hippophagy was prohibited to Christians apparently because it
was tied to pagan sacrifice across a wide range of migratory peoples.  A
dispensation was given to Iceland in 999.

You might wish to check out:  Bhawe, S., Die Yajus des Asvamedba; Versuch
einer Rekontruktion dieses Abschnittes des Yajurveda auf Grund der
Uberlieferung seiner funf Schulen, Bonner orientalistiche Studien 25,
Stuttgart, 1939.  Bhawe ties hippophagy to to an ancient Indo-European
fertility rite.

You might also try contacting Ken Jukes, who appears to writing a dsoctoral
thesis entitled Hippophagy in AngloSaxon England.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/?id=1225

Bear