[Sca-cooks] Here we go again- that old rotten meat myth

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 14:45:02 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> I think you guys better reread that article gain, and release your
> knee jerk reactions to the rotten meat myth.
>
> It is quite apparent that the author is relying on what the people
> s/he met said about  Nazis and spices and rotten meat. Obviously,
> whoever was talking to the media ought to have their mouth duct taped
> shut, but there's no reason to blame the reporter for writing up and
> printing whatever they were told.

While I can certainly understand that they may have been told all of the above (and probably were), I'd expect some degree of journalistic ethics to kick in, and perhaps try to either talk to more than one person, or to qualify what they were reporting as opinion from a small sample of members.

The last article I read that was this one-sided was in The Onion, as I recall, written by a guy who had once lived in Ostgardr, among other places, and his memories of his time with the SCA were not really happy ones... my memories of him, however, suggest that he's never going to be happy anywhere, and it has little or nothing to do with the SCA...

I also noted a relative lack of serious attempt to find explanations for the phenomenon being reported upon. Yes, the group is having trouble keeping up its membership among a given population base. I believe there's more to this than that we suck, are mean authenticity police, and can't cook. Don't you?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter