[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Cherry Pottage

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Mar 31 19:02:59 PDT 2010

Earlier Raymond Wickham <insidious565 at hotmail.com> stated
"Maybe the French (Odile Redon et al) and the Americans (Constance
Heiatt et al) don't call them clove gillyflowers...because the same
error appears every time I see this recipe translated by SCAdians."
and "It would also mean you don't have to "warn your guests that the
cloves are there for decoration only" (Redon, et al, 1993)." This
writer asserts that it's the flower and not the spice.

But perhaps Hieatt isn't wrong. If we return to the collections that
make up  the Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections (Speculum 61 number 4
(Oct. 1986))
we find this recipe:

3. Saugee. E un autre viaunde, ke ad noun saugee. Pernez bons especes,
ceo est a
saver bon gingybre e clou de gilofre e kanele e galyngale, e festes
braer en un morter;
si pernez une poine de sauge, si festes braer en cel morter od celes
especes bien; e
pernez des oefs e festes quyre durs, e pernez hors le moel e festes
braer oveskes le
sauge, e od vin egre ou eisil ou cerveyse egre festes le temprer, e
pernez le blaunc de 5
l'oef e festes menu, e metez dedenz kaunt il est destempr6; e pernez
pie de porc ou
char freide e metez dedenz; e puys dressez. page 863

The translation for the second line reads:
"take good spices, that is, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and galingale,
and grind them in a mortar;"

So here we have "clou de gilofre" very definitely included in a list
of "bons especes."

Johnnae llyn Lewis, OE