[Sca-cooks] Medieval Physicians

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:56:14 PST 2010

     In reference to "Charlemagne and the doctors," there were no
'doctors' in medieval history. The correct word is physician in this
case. Barbers, who bleed patients, were another matter.
     Changing the subject a bit,  I have a problem with my colleagues
because they feel no book should be trashed. I disagree. I feel when a
book is historical 'crap,' it should be trashed so as to not to let
readers be mislead. I do not believe in the inquisition but when there
is no foundation for facts presented as history they should not be
admitted for publication.
     Today I started reading Matt Cohen's Spanish translation of THE
SPANISH DOCTOR. It is about a Jewish physician and his family who were
persecuted by the "Spanish Inquisition." It starts out that the
physician has completed his medical studies in Montpelier and returned
to mama's house the Jewish Ghetto in Toledo, Spain. (Oh, the book cover
has a painting of the royal fortress with towers added by Philip II in
the latter part of the 16th Century.) Physician preforms a cesarean on a
Christian woman of wealth! - No man was allowed to enter the room of a
woman giving birth during the Spanish Middle Ages. IT WAS TOTALLY
PROHIBITED, not even Hapsburg kings were allowed in! Then this Canadian
author, I think, calls the woman by her husband's last name. Spanish
women keep their last names for their entire lives. Now our 'doctor' has
feline descendants cause he jumps over walls, out of the ghetto, at
night to attend his patients. Ghettos, in Spain, had curfews during the
Inquisition under Isabella and Ferdi, not before. The only Jewish
community that I know of that was able to flee from Ferdi was in
Madrigal (de las Torres today), Avila by using tunnels. Finally the
husband of the patient and the doctor toast to a drink. The author says
Jews were not allowed to drink. So now we have Jews governed by Islamic
laws?
     Oh yeah, Mama was violated by soldiers of Henry I of Castile which
takes us back to the late 14th Century. Then so called "Cardinal Rodrigo
Velazquez" starts the inquisition from what seen on the cover. The
Inquisition did not start until 16th Century. when Cisneros goes full
force. Mendoza, who was not cardinal until Isabel and Ferdi, kept things
on a low pitch the last 4th of the 15th century. Should we assume that
in order to be historically correct, this doctor lived for 150 years???
Suey