[Sca-cooks] hippophagie

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:12:46 PDT 2010

In the Mediterranean especially Turkey and the Tartar regions, horses
were roasted whole. From the middle of the backbone down to and
including the tail the meat with the skin as sliced diagonally and given
to the nobles while the rest of the people consumed the rest.
In Spain it was only served to warriors to give them strength. As the
horse was the war machine or the Ferrari today, it was only owned by the
wealthy and was kept as long as possible for combat. So I doubt if the
old gray mere was tender. I know the RC Church prohibited eating it but
in emergency situations it certainly was consumed in the 15th Century
Castile when there were a lot of battles between nobles. Even Juan II of
Castile, Isabelle's father was reduced to horse meat when surrounded by
his battling brother-in-law Enrique of Aragon. The story goes that after
the horses, they ate saddles and even leather gloves until a shepherd
sent him a bird with his bow and arrow. Then they knew Castile was
saved!!!! Long live the king!!! That's not the only 15th Century
emergency situation I have. I do not have any record of the church
condemning this or the other cases.
I know that does not help you for northern Europe but would imagine the
same applies as cannibalism. If there is nothing else to eat what about
a dead soldier, especially if an in-law? - Gross yes but its the
survival of the fittest!
Suey