[Sca-cooks] Tasting Table at Crown - sans rotten meat

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Mar 16 14:14:06 PDT 2010

Well, we had quite the successful medieval tasting table
at Outlands Crown Tourney this Saturday in al-Barran.
 Spearheaded by Mistress Monika von Zell, our A and S
Officer (who brought me along for the ride as a
coordinator), we provided a bounty of dishes, 97% medieval
(and a few close enough for government work) and all
tasting delicious.

We had three home made cheeses (honey and pomegranate,
dill/mustard seed, and plain), home made butter, oat
bread, florentine pork, five-spice pork, venison/beef
stew, pea soup, egg drop soup, melon with mint, carrots in
same dressing as melon, salad with olive oil, wine and
onion (chopped red), two forms of stuffed dates, one
stuffed with ingredients and brushed with powdered gold (a
bit different from apicius, but much neater in the
situation) and one stuffed with almonds and simmered in
wine, pizzelles, persian peach dessert, apple cake, littiu
(oatmeal pudding with dried cherries and currants),
chicken/cheese tarts, rissoles, Rumpbolt pickled beets...
 okay, so the rolls were store bought.  People came out of
the woodwork to cook, some for their first try at medieval
food (using Master Huen's site to good advantage).

We raised almost $300.00 for the travel fund, and had
people going by all day, eating and commenting on the
food, how good it was and how wonderful it was to have
such a thing.  Mistress Monika assembled recipe books
which were sold for $2.00 (cover printing costs).  We ran
out of copies and were asked to provide more at later
events.  It was a great day.

Mistress Aldyth and Mistress Gwen Kat from this list
participated as well.

Thus proving that medieval food can indeed be.... da da da
da datada... good eats.

Cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico