[Sca-cooks] Oh, that rotten meat myth!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 16 16:11:49 PDT 2010

Which urban myth would that be?

The urban myth in which a Midrealm (?) cook served hundreds of people
rotten mutton?

As in "Their intense enthusiasm occasionally manifests itself in less
than pleasant ways, as when a cook who was a little too eager to
adhere to medieval methods of food preparation allowed mutton to go
rancid before serving it up from a bubbling cauldron to hundreds of
SCA members. Widespread bowel pain constituted that night’s party
favor."

That's the disturbing part. Not that perhaps their meat in the past
wasn't always as fresh as ours (in this day of ecoli and contaminated
meats and recalls of meat in terms of tons and tons, should we be
talking?)
but that cooks in this kingdom (or someplace in the Society) went out
of their way to serve unsafe food.

Mutton served to hundreds??? When, where, who???

It's not what we do. It perpetuates the myth that SCA cooks don't know
what they are doing.

Johnnae