[Sca-cooks] What is a Spanish Fritter?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 15 03:29:06 PDT 2010

Carres asked Brighid:
<<< would you be so kind as to send me both with the references, too!  PLEASE
<HUGE cheesy smile!>  >>>

I was hoping that Mistress Brighid had some redactions for "Spanish" fritters I didn't have. However, she did point you to her translations, which I happen to have already. :-)

These are in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section of the Florilegium. (And I am Very proud to host them)
Guisados1-art (220K) 5/28/01 A translation of Ruperto de Nola's 1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1 of 2 by Mistress Brighid ni Chiarain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html

Guisados2-art (116K) 5/28/01 "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2. Lenten recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

I also have the following file. I didn't speak up originally because I didn't remember having anything specifically called a "Spanish frittour". However, in looking through the file I do find a number of different recipes from Spanish sources, usually given by Mistress Brighid. I don't believe all of these are from the above manuscript and they aren't all titled fritters. There is also a "Spanish" fritter from someone else (Alys Katherine, I think). So perhaps worth a look after all. In the FOOD section:

frittours-msg (76K) 9/ 7/08 Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/frittours-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com