[Sca-cooks] egg whites

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun May 23 11:25:17 PDT 2010

> Does anyone have a medieval recipe that uses large quantities of egg
> whites?
>
> --Ursula Georges.

 From Platina:

/Prepare a pound and a half of best fresh cheese, chopped especially
fine. Add twelve or fifteen egg whites, half a pound of sugar, half an
ounce of white ginger, half a pound of pork liquamen and as much fresh
butter. Blend in as much milk as you need. When you have blended this,
put it into a pastry crust rolled thin and put it all in a pan and set
it to bake on the hearth with a gentle flame. Then, to give it color,
put coals on the lid. When it is cooked and taken from the pan, sprinkle
ground sugar over it, with rosewater.

/I made this in camp a few years ago. Tasty, but it was a pain to beat
all of those egg whites- we passed the bowl from hand to hand as our
arms got tired.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore