[Sca-cooks] shrimp

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Sun May 2 09:17:32 PDT 2010

> Still not sure how you are supposed to eat the lightly fried shrimp in their shells with their heads still on, that show up in various Asian buffets around here. Since they're breaded, I assume you don't shell them, but...  I have tried shelling them. Rather messy. But not sure if eating the shells is okay, although they seem to be softer than when simply boiled.  There's this texture thing though...

The shell adds crunch, and the head has a very nice texture, softer
and richer, than the tails. You eat the whole thing (freaks us
North-Americans out, but they're really good this way). (The itsy
bitsy popcorn fried shrimp in thick batter are the same thing, only
much smaller, so you don't notice as much.)

And, some people say the best part of lobster is the green inside the
body, and while it takes some courage to get over the yuck factor at
first, I have to say that I agree with them now!