[Sca-cooks] [SCA-Laurels] rose water vs. damask water

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 13:30:37 PDT 2010

I have been doing some research on this and some of what has been said is true, in that damask water and rose water are very much alike.  Having consulted Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages, he seems to feel that there is a slight difference between the two, in that the damask rose has more fragrance and other chemicals than the regular garden rose.

If your friend were willing to do some searching and spend some money, it occured to me that one could substitute damask water with rose attar.  Attar of rose is much stronger that rose water.  However, because it is a major component of perfumes, finding an attar that is food grade might be difficult and somewhat costly.  Attar intended for perfumes are not food grade.

One could also compare an American rose water with a Middle Eastern or Indian made rose water, since damask roses are native to the Middle East.

I remember a previous discussion on this recipe on the SCA Cooks list where the concensus was to just double the amount of rose water, rather than spend the time and effort to deal with the damask water.

If one had access to a goodly amount of true damask roses, one could try to create damask water, probably doubling the amount of petals that a rose water recipe required.  But the problem is that true damask roses are hard to find in the US.  David Austin's English roses are not pure damask roses, although they probably would be better than anything else.  Just make sure that they have not been subjected to insecticides or you will poison anyone who eats your marchpane.

Huette
Caid