[Sca-cooks] Rose Water vs. Damask Water

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Sun May 9 13:04:40 PDT 2010

Well, since Partridge's gives a couple of recipes
for making Damaske water (#59 & 60), but none for
making rose water, I would personally suspect
that he's talking about two different qualities
of rose-water.  The plain stuff, that everybody
knew how to make at home, and something more
special (the Damaske).

Or maybe... since many of the things I'm finding
on-line say that rose-water was invented by
Islamic alchemists in period, maybe the generic
"rose water" was the fancy imported stuff, and
"Damaske" water would be a home-made specialty,
using the imported stuff as a base, and adding
more of a specific type of local rose, to get a
stronger or more definite scent.

Over the past 25+ years, we have grown Gallicas,
Damasks, Eglantine, Musk, R foetida and Albas and
they all had individual scents.  (Boy, do we need
to update the webpages, 8-)!

FYI, here's #59: To make Damaske water
Take Damaske Roses, and red Roses, of each a
handfull, let them drie foure houres in the
shadow: then take two drams of Laudanum, Nigellae
Romanæ, two penny-worth, Iries halfe an ounce,
Storax two drams, Cloves an ounce, Benjamin,
Calamus aromaticus,, Nutmegs, of each halfe an
ounce, Marjoram, Bazell, of each halfe a
handfull: bruise the spice, and put it in
Malmesey, or the lees thereof, the space of four
dayes: then distill it and scum it fourteen dayes.

chimene