[Sca-cooks] Hoopoe

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 12:25:38 PDT 2010

Elsie Fleming wrote:I would agree with Emilio that "If there is no clear
> reference to some kind of culinary or dietetic use or aspect whatsoever,
> I'd suggest to delete the entry."
>
> Here is one of the statements about the abubilla (hoopoe) that needs
> some kind of documentation: "As the hoopoe is 7 1/2" or 15 cm long , a
> medium sized bird, it was served at banquets with its coat of feathers
> placed over it after roasting as the peacock and the swan."
It is written in:

G. Sevilla, Emilia. "Los platos insólitos en las mesas reales." _Mesa
con Vino_. Sep 24, 2010. Oct 29, 2010. <http://mesaconvino.blogspot.com/>

> Where is
> this written?  If it's in a modern book, then the author should have
> given a citation for a medieval reference which should then be noted.
> Just citing a modern author who says that it was served in its plumage
> is not appropriate documentation for it being done during the Middle
> Ages.  Modern writers, especially on the internet, can become carried
> away with assumptions that have no basis in fact.  So, if there is no
> period citation of the abubilla being served in its feathers at a
> medieval Spanish feast, then how do we really know it was done??
I have written her twice. So far she has not answered. If she does not
produce I will probably delete the birdie to my regret. His coat is
handsome.
> Also, the hawthorn (acerola) was _not_ on Henry VII's coat of arms as
> stated in the blog.  It was on Henry's _badge_, which is a different item.
What is the difference between a badge and a coat of arms? What is the
plant that is surrounding Henry VII's coat of arms?

> Alys K., being fussy
Being fussy helps me no end. That is what I want. I appreciate it so
much. You are really helping me. Sometimes it hurts cause I try so hard
but I have no one here to guide me. Thank you, Emilio, Johnna and all of
you who are helping me.
Suey