[Sca-cooks] OT OOP - Copyright infringement thread

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Tue Nov 9 14:04:48 PST 2010

Emilio wrote:
> It is not easy to get a proper understanding of what is happening here on
> both
> sides.

I agree, but I see a fascinating cultural phenomenon here.  If Judith
Griggs hadn't written such a classically American 'snark' response to the
request for fair compensation, then this would have never been newsworthy
at all.  I think it is the passive-agressive "you should be thankful"
attitude that set my teeth a wee bit on edge.  The resulting viral
response probably was at least in part a response to the wrongfully
perceived entitlement on the part of the publisher.  I don't think it had
much to do with copy/paste of stuff from the nets but rather the attitude
of Judith Griggs. I don't know if it is true in other cultures, but this
sort of behavior is very common in our workplaces by those in authority
(or not) and right or wrong, this publisher feels the backlash of our
everyday irritant and the free opportunity 'to let someone have it'.

Personally, I think that as soon as there was a Hitler parody it jumped
the shark.  Amazing how fast this spread.

Katherine