[Sca-cooks] OT OOP - Copyright infringement thread

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Nov 9 13:23:54 PST 2010

<< http://www.cookssource.com/
They seem to be blaming those unpaid writers for all the infringements.
Otherwise it looks like full steam ahead minus the Facebook page.
Nothing about the editorial mistake at the top that everything on the internet
was in the public domain. >>

It is not easy to get a proper understanding of what is happening here on both
sides.

Certainly the people using online stuff should have asked for permission and
should have practised proper attribution. This is granted.

But what happened afterwards seems to me to show certain traits of witch hunting
and an inquisition-type dynamics in my eyes. I may be wrong.

Think about your own copy-and-paste behavior during the last five years. What if
some blogger would chose to make YOU the next target.

<< that everything on the internet was in the public domain. >>

O.k., strictly speaking, this is not true. But I have seen many many cases where
material was used without proper attribution, without permission etc. And there
are cases where you do not even know whom to prosecute ...

Is there any contribution trying to check what they say about their kind of
production ("overworked", "small business")?

There is an ancient legal principle saying that "the other part" should be heard
also (et altera pars audiatur).

Just in case it is / it were true what they say on their website, then the whole
inquistion-type prosecution is way oversized und unjust because many other,
maybe somewhat less important cases would have to be prosecuted in the same way.

E.