[Sca-cooks] The good hous-wiues treasurie was Battlefield Bakery Cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 06:30:50 PST 2010

To start the correct citation should indicate that the work is
anonymous.
Edward Allde was the printer.

Anon. The good hous-wiues treasurie Beeing a verye necessarie booke
instructing to the dressing of meates. Hereunto is also annexed
sundrie holsome medicines for diuers diseases. Imprinted at London :
By Edward Allde, 1588. [Running title reads: A booke of cookerie.]
The very important STC (2nd ed.) number is  13854. There seems to be
only the one edition.
The British lIbrary copy is the one that has been microfilmed and
scanned.
It's up on both EEBO and it's on EEBO-TCP which means the text is up.
It's not a very long work. 33 culinary recipes; 11 for the preserves,
etc. 10 medicinal.

The recipe Euriol submitted from the Old Foodie seems to be the same
as the EEBO-TCP copy. Minor differences in a couple of places.

Ivan Day has some recipes for mince pies, including Markham's recipe,
up on his website--
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe2.htm

Johnnae