[Sca-cooks] FW: Modern Humours Yahoo Group

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 06:39:12 PST 2010

Greetings all,

            At the Gluten-Free Roundtable discussion at Pennsic this past
summer there were several requests to have an e-list for those trying to
deal with being in the SCA while trying to avoid foods that were actively
bad for you.  After some discussion, we thought that it should be expanded
to include all sorts of food issues, and all manner of historical reenactors
as well.  With the well-timed publication of the newest Creative
Anachronist, it all fell together.

            I am pleased to announce the formation of the Modern Humours
Yahoo Group.  It is open to all persons interested in historical reenactment
while dealing with food sensitivities.  Take a moment to read the mission
statement below.  This is not meant to be a medical discussion forum, no one
really wants to hear about the time you broke out in oozing boils at the
feast table!  We will be collecting a list of helpful support groups in our
Files section to direct people with medical questions.

We hope this group will be able to help provide suggestions of period
recipes that fit certain dietary needs without substitutions; create a type
of form letter to use as a template to send to a feast cook when you will be
attending an event and wish to inform them of your needs; a list of
resources for feast cooks that wish to accommodate guests with particular
concerns, and more.

            To subscribe to Modern Humours, send an email to:
modernhumours-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

            Or send an email to me directly and I will send you an
invitation.

            By all means please spread the word, we look forward to many
helpful discussions!

            Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, OL; gluten and dairy-free

            kingstaste at comcast.net

Modern Humours is a group for the discussion of topics concerning historical
reenactment by those with food allergies or sensitivities.  It is intended
as a forum for anyone that is interested in cooking or eating food from
various historical time periods reenacted at fairs, demonstrations, and
events, in ways that are friendly to those with modern food challenges or
"modern humours".

Discussions will highlight the challenges of cooking historically accurate
foods and to assist those with food issues to find ways to participate in a
safe manner.  We will share recipes, discuss particular issues common to
those with food sensitivities, and the specific challenges faced when trying
to fit in to an historical setting.

This is NOT meant to be a medical page - Please check our FILE section for
links to many good support groups and information.    Some discussion of the
types of symptoms certain foods can cause is to be expected, but the focus
should be on ensuring a positive experience for cooks and participants.