[Sca-cooks] OOP - help my stews!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 09:53:49 PST 2010

Dan in Auburn wrote:
>Bitterness is caused by the garlic powder and rosemary over a long cooking
>period. Add the rosemary just before serving and user real garlic.

I agree. At one event i was a judge of a cooking competition. One
dish tasted so vile and bitter because of rosemary; the dish has been
precooked, then reheated at the event and it was one of the most
horrible things i have ever tasted, and i have eaten a wide range of
odd stuff from and in many countries on 4 continents. I also know
from other experiences that garlic powder can cause bitterness.

>When you brown the meat you add another dimension to the stew. It
>also starts the rue and
>thickens your gravy.

I suspect you do not mean to use rue, Dan, which is an extremely
bitter herb. In this case, i think you mean *roux*. They are
pronounced the same in English, but have VERY different meanings :)
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita