[Sca-cooks] Paella

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:36:25 PST 2010

The word comes from Ar. /pulao/, a Persian pilaf dish. Persians took it
to Spain and India. Originally pulao was browned rice cooked with nuts,
herbs and raisins. In Spain paella is rice with chicken or with seafood
or with pork. In South America they mix all three. Certainly, one can
have a vegetarian paella but I have never heard of putting mushrooms
alone or accompanied with other foods. This is new to me. . .

Susan Fox wrote:
> Check the flori-thingie, there's a file on Paella:
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/paella-msg.html
>
> The word "Paella" does not appear in print until the 1700's but
> obviously people served Stuff On Rice long before that.  Try looking up
> words like pilaf and pilau.
Stefan's article is most informative but needs cleaning up.
Unfortunately, I have no time today but did find this title to this blog
amusing: "Pilaf, paella and pulao - how a rice dish conquered the
world."
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=85010904&blogId=534054455
-

I shall keep this in mind and work on it when I can.
Suey