[Sca-cooks] Nola's "albanal"

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:56:07 PST 2010

My head is a sieve right now. I cannot find Robin Carroll-Mann's email
address to ask her directly as she used Perez when translating from
Spanish to English. I used Iranzo. This word has been debated as the
Spanish Royal Academy defines it as "sewer drain" but clearly in Hita
these are tubs (verse 1277) - I do not have Mark Singleton's translation
of that one in my files. A pity, I have enjoyed reading his poetical
translation at the National Library in Madrid so now I am curious as to
how he translated the word. He is a card - he is so funny and
intelligent!) Perez' defines the word as a large earthenware vat or
basin for dish washing but for the life of me I cannot find where the
word appears in the recipes. On line I saw that in the 18th century it
meant sifting and washing wheat. - That makes me think I must see how
Nola or Perez uses the word. If it includes washing food products, I
think that essential.
Another angle here is the "al" word in Spanish. It generally comes from
Arabic. Banar means to wash in Spanish.
Please note: the "n"s  in albanal and banar have a squigel on top of it
like in "n-yeah".
Suey