[Sca-cooks] Nola's "albanal" (?)

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Nov 21 15:08:55 PST 2010

I cannot find the word "albanal"/"albañal" in the catalan (1520) Ruperto de
Nola, nor in one of the spanish (1525, 1529) versions.

books.google.com has a lot of ancient texts with "albañal", "albañares" etc.
inside. Most seem to be used in the sense 'sewer drains'.

They also give access to dictionaries on Arabic/Spanish relations, like
Dozy/Engelmann, and articles (A comprehensive view of medieval Spain, where the
meaning 'drain' is given).

Could you translate the passage from Libro de buen amor for us?

1277
    Fase a sus collasos faser los valladares,
    refaser los pesebres, limpiar los albañares,
    çerrar los silos del pan, e seguir los pajares,
    más querríen entonçe peña que non loriga nin ijares.   (from the
Cervantesvirtual website)

<< On line I saw that in the 18th century it meant sifting and washing wheat. >>

Do not mix up the verb and the noun.

E.