[Sca-cooks] Regalo de la Vida Humana

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 17:50:50 PST 2010

The coordinator of the recently held (and modestly named) second Perfectly Period Feast gave me a really cool book as a thank you for being the head cook. "Regalo de la Vida Humana" by Juan Valles (1496 to 1563) ... it is in Spanish, so it will take me awhile to get through this, but it is full of recipes. The first volume is a fasimilie of the original. The second volume is a transcription of the text and various articles. There is a list of recipes in the back. I'll start with translating that and then set priorities. This is the book that Brighid mentioned to me when she was here. She said that there are tart and sausage recipes in here that she has not seen in other sources from late 16th c Spain. Woo hoo ... this will be fun :-)

Juana Isabella
West