[Sca-cooks] Beaver meat recipes

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Nov 22 15:28:38 PST 2010

--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> schrieb am Mo, 22.11.2010:

> Von: Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] Beaver meat recipes
> An: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Datum: Montag, 22. November, 2010 21:14 Uhr
> Elinor Strangewayes on the East
> Kingdom list was asking about any existing medieval or
> Renaissance recipes for beaver meat or beaver tail. She's
> been having to trap them (nuisance on her property) and
> she's got lots of them in her freezer now.
>
> I figured I'd ask here on the list, also out of my own
> curiousity; the Florilegium doesn't seem to have anything in
> the meats section.
>
> YIS,
> Adelisa de Salernum

Interesting. I'm just working my way through Maister Hannsen, and recipe #268 says (rough translation): "Scald a beaver tail and skin it and roast it till it becomes dry as sand. Then strew it with spices. If you want a pepper sauce (with it), you can make it as described above, that way you can make it (taste) good."

Unhelpfully, there are several recipes for pepper sauces. The most typical one seems to be wine or vinegar, soaked bread, and spices cooked together, passed through a cloth or sieve, and heated with the meat.

Neat, but not very informative, I'm afraid.

Giano