[Sca-cooks] Albanar and Perez

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:56:43 PST 2010

Concerning this

Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:

> Incidentally, though I used Perez for my initial translation, I
> cross-checked it against the facimile edition, and found a number of
> typos and also some missing text.
     I agree. Perez makes up text that is not from the original Catalan
MS, nor is this one taken from Villena but as my aim in my research to
show the meanings of words such as  "albanar" in medieval text to our
students and share them with us researchers, you  are going to find my
definitions and references helpful as in my post on Wed, 24 Nov 10:
http://spanishfoodma.blogspot.com/
     In general when dealing with Nola, I use the Catalan MS and when in
doubt check with the Iranzo text. She seems pretty faithful and reliable
with the Catalan text that we have.
     Missing text is the frustration of medieval researchers that is
nothing new.
     Perez also adds recipes that are not in the Catalan text - beside
this introduction about kitchen hygiene and cleanliness in which the
word appears, I think his recipe additions debatable.
Suey