[Sca-cooks] NPR Segment on Copyright infringement

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Nov 25 12:45:02 PST 2010

>I dunno....I just know that these are the rules that I have to follow for
>publications in the SCA...per rulings by our SCA lawyers.  That's why the
>last CA has a special nod to Master Huon as the author of Gode
>Cookery...most of the instructions from period recipes come from his
>book...and they comprised more than 25% of the content of that issue.

This sounds as though you are mixing issues of plagiarism with issues
of copyright infringement. Giving credit doesn't help with copyright
issues--if the material is covered by copyright, you need permission
from the holder.

>No, according to the information I have, the portions, etc. are not...just
>the instructions and commentary.

Correct. Quantities are idea, so not covered by copyright.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com