[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in German cooking, esp knodeln

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Nov 25 23:25:14 PST 2010

I've been having an online exchange with someone, I think German, who
is arguing that spices were included in recipes to show off, not
because they actually tasted good in the recipes. In particular, he
claims that cinnamon appears in recipes where it doesn't belong, and
offers the example of knodeln.

I, of course, don't believe it. But I also don't know the German
sources. Any comments from anyone who does?

He also claims that period vinegar was sharper than ours, and that
dishes come out too sour if you use it in the recommended proportions.

It's unclear to me whether he has actually cooked any significant
number of dishes from the relevant cuisine.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com