[Sca-cooks] Types of Wheat for Bread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 23:44:45 PST 2010

Alys K. asked about wheat and grain processing:
<<< I'm pretty sure someone here has the information and could
provide some links to internet articles... What type of wheat was used
for bread during Tudor times?

I know that other grains were used for various types of bread - millet,
barley, rye, oats.  Are there any articles or web sites that tell about
the different qualities and types of bread from grains other than wheat? >>>

Okay, so you are wanting info on other grains besides wheat? That wasn't how I understood your message title. Other grains were used but wheat, and specifically the finer ground and sifted wheat seems to have been almost universally preferred.

<<< What about grinding methods?  I'm guessing that grinding between stones
was the only type used.  Metal rollers would be much, much later, right? >>>

Yes, the metal rollers came post-period. However, even within period grinding stones varied over the years, even for the big mill stones, not including the large variety of hand querns.

The Florilegium is probably a good start on much of this. I have some promised articles on millstones and grinding but they haven't appeared yet.

Ancent-Grains-art (24K) 5/30/01 "Looking into Ancient Grains" by Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Ancent-Grains-art.html

boulting-msg (14K) 4/15/07 Sieving meal to get various grades of flour.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/boulting-msg.html

Bread-Hist-art (26K) 5/ 7/08 "A Treatise on Bread" by Mistress Aldyth Trefaldwyn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Bread-Hist-art.html

bread-msg (244K) 12/16/07 Medieval breads and grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/bread-msg.html

flour-msg (106K) 1/12/08 Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/flour-msg.html

grains-msg (119K) 4/15/10 Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
    (More on unground grain, but perhaps worth a look)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/grains-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com