[Sca-cooks] Order of ingredients

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Tue Nov 30 19:26:07 PST 2010

Chiming in late here.
I usually list ingredients in the units they are purchased in.
Onions, by the pound
Milk by the cup.
If I am really being careful I measure and weigh: 2 cups chopped onion (.75
lb).
I tend to default to weight.

When I worked in the food industry we did all formulae in percentages. So
you could weigh a 10 lb unit of sausage, dry mix, etc or a 100 lb batch. But
it has been noted, not everyone has a scale in their kitchen, much less a
calculator.

Most of the recipes I am recording carefully I will either make again, or
will be expanded for feast, etc.
It is very frustrating to be compiling a shopping list for a feast and have
to figure out what 13.5 cups of chopped onion relate to in terms of pounds.

Randell Raye