[Sca-cooks] A preserved lemon question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 12:47:06 PST 2010

Margaret FitzWilliam wrote:
> A question most likely for Urtatim:
>
> I have this jar of preserved lemons that I made a few years back, and I
> was wondering if they ever really go bad?

If the jar was prepared and stored appropriately, the lemons should still be good. They can go bad, if improperly stored, or not enough salt was used (as in, get moldy).

They keep best if stored unopened in a cool dark place, and in the refrigerator after opening.

They should be no longer bright yellow, but still yellowish, the peel somewhat translucent, and the pulp hardly noticeable. They won't smell like fresh lemons, but should still smell lemony (as well as salty and acidic).

I go through jars quickly. I chop them up and mix with mayonnaise and mustard and herbs 'n' spices which making tuna salad. I sprinkle slivered peel and slivered dried tomatoes on steamed broccoli. And of course they are luscious with cooked chicken or fish.

I don't rinse them off, just use them instead of salt, but i know some people prefer to give 'em a rinse before using. In some of her books, Kitty Morse - who, despite her name is actually Moroccan - mentions the possibility of white stuff floating on top of the liquid, which she says can just be discarded. I have never seen this in any of the preserved lemons i have made or have been gifted by others.
---
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita