[Sca-cooks] garfish/hornfish/needlefish -- aguja, agulla

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 07:03:46 PST 2010

Under hornfish, I can find this mention in EEBO-TCP:

Acuino, a hornfish or hornbacke.

is in Florio, John, 1553?-1625. A vvorlde of wordes, or Most copious,
and exact dictionarie in Italian and English, collected by Iohn
Florio. 1598

and later as

  46. Girrock: Acus major, called elsewhere Horn-Fish and Needle-Fish.
from John Ray's 1674 work A collection of English vvords not generally
used...

Needlefish are mentioned as part of a list in the 1672 New-Englands
rarities discovered in birds, beasts, fishes, etc.

It turns up all over the text of The academy of armory in 1688 but no
recipes!

OED lists these quotations under garfish
c1440 Promp. Parv. 247/1 Horn keke, fysche (S. horne stoke; P.
hornkek, or garfysshe).
1577 HARRISON England III. iii. (1878) II. 21 Of the long sort are
congers, eeles, garefish, and such other of that forme.
1611 COTGR., Orphie, the Hornebeake, Hornekecke, Piper-fish, Garre-fish.

Under hornfish
The garfish, Belone vulgaris, so called from its long projecting beak.
a1000 Andreas 370 (Gr.) Hornfisc ple?ode, glad ?eond garsecg.
1599 MINSHEU Sp. Dict., Hornefish, enxarraco, xarraco.
1611 FLORIO, Cornuto..Also the Horne-fish.

Under needlefish
1601 P. HOLLAND tr. Pliny Hist. World I. IX. li. 266 The Horne-beakes
or Needle~fishes.

Also listed called also green-bone, horn-fish, sea-pike, etc.

We may need to expand the search into variations of the names to find
English recipes or more mentions.

Johnnae

regarding that garfish/hornfish/needlefish snipped