[Sca-cooks] Copyright infringement - on topic for SCA writers

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Nov 13 10:38:27 PST 2010

Was written:

> If we quote a book when we write your own thing we add a footnote. As I
> understand it, if we add an image we must have the written permission of
> author. So I want to include a photo of a Goya's garfish painting - lets
> just say - I must write to Paco, no? Does anyone have his email address in
> heaven?

Into dust and under dust to lie
 sans wine sans singer sans song (Omar by way of Fitzgerald)

With all do respect to Paco it is my understanding that once across the veil
intellectual rights either descend to one's heirs or one's works becomes
public domain.  Thus I would contact his heirs and gain permission there of.
Of course you could take your own picture and then it would be your
intellectual property to do with as you see fit.   That is unless the image
that you imaged is in itself protected like Mickey Mouse or Elvis.
Mirrors, mirrors we descend into a hall of mirrors don't we?

Daniel