[Sca-cooks] The Cooks Source Editor Speaks at last

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 23:11:43 PST 2010

 > The finer points of copyright law? How do you become a publication's
art director or editor without learning the basics?   I could understand
the problem if this was her first venture into publishing, but according
to the  article, she has worked for "decades" for at least three other
publications.

I worked for an art school at one point as one of the IT staff (later
the sole IT person). They have a museum arts program. Much of the work
held by the museum is that of students, but a substantial amount is from
donations, some anonymous some well known and documented. The museum
director wanted to get the entire collection digitized and most of it
online. He had no understanding of copyright law whatsoever. His
assumption was that if it was in the collection and belonged to the
museum, he could do anything they wanted with it or its likeness. We had
to have a three hour meeting with him just to get across the basics of
why he could not do what he wanted. He was in charge of teaching others
and did so on a daily basis. Situations of this nature are inexcusable
but more common than I would care to contemplate.

Guillaume